AVG PrivacyFix – an app to help you take control of your online privacy
Feb 1, 2014 10:43 AM –
AVG PrivacyFix empowers you with various tools to repair potential areas of leakage of your personal information on social sites like Facebook & Google including online browsing.
Tested on: Samsung Galaxy S4
Pros & Cons:
- Suite of tools to help fix personal privacy leaks on Facebook & Google, thwart with advertiser tracking and more!
- Pro and Con explanations why some items need remedy!
- Get alerted of privacy concerns when browsing the web!
- Block mobile tracking over WiFi!
- Slow screen loading in multiple areas.
- In my evaluation I could not get the app to successfully log into any of my Google accounts.
AVG PrivacyFix shows you which of your personal privacy settings may be public to unwanted eyes or able to be leaked by Facebook & Google’s overzealous goals to make us all more social online. Getting started requires you to connect AVG to your Facebook and Google accounts. In my evaluation I could not get the app to successfully log in any of my Google accounts.*
I would have imagined the app would have a lone button to click and perform an analysis and summary of concerns to fix. Instead it encourages you to go through each individually- once completed it tallies a privacy score (the more you lock down the higher your privacy score rises in the Dashboard). I like that it advises you with explanations with Pros and Cons of privacy settings. Though I would advise you read each carefully and configure according to your personal life & sharing style because if you listen to the app’s recommendations you’ll be back to the 80’s, or under a rock– I’m being sarcastic yet it will button things up so you’re not really accessible online.
My biggest gripe with the app is the sluggish user experience. You often have to wait on screens and components to load multiple times during a session of use- which is very annoying. And to be honest these things could be done on your own, but AVG has compiled the most common offenders of your privacy for your convenience to remedy. Below is a brief explanation of each component you may encounter using the app:
- Not in Google: makes it harder to find your Facebook profile using search engines.
- In Facebook ads: prevents your name and picture from appearing in Facebook ads, friends won’t see your Likes and product recommends if disabled.
- Face matching on: prevent facial recognition on photos uploaded by others, you’ll have to manually tag if disabled.
- Control your crowd: this requires you to add AVG as a Facebook app, however, once enabled it allows you to corner off a crowd of folks that you only want to see your posts. (Tip: you can do this on your own by posting to Close Friends group you create).
- App access on/Stale apps: limit apps from accessing your profile data.
- Sessions checked: remove old active Facebook sessions.
- Apps checked: shows active apps that should have access to your data along with the inactive ones for removal.
- Sharing checked: I shameless FB post from AVG, no privacy fix here. :-/
- Tag preview off: prevents friends from tagging you in posts and pics.
- Searches saved
- YouTube viewed saved
- In Google ads
Additional Privacy Options
- Opt-outs requested: a mandate to signal ad targeting companies to stop targeting you online.
- PC fixes viewed: another shameless plug by AVG for you to use their desktop software privacy controls for Facebook, Google, LinkedIn, website & ad targeting
- WiFi tracking allowed: see below
The newest feature to the privacy protector app is the ability to block mobile tracking over WiFi. Did you know some retail stores use your mobile WiFi to track you? Ever notice when your phone’s WiFi is tuned on but not connected it shows “WiFi Networks Available”… they use these anonymous requests from your phone to determine what departments you visit, if you’re a repeat shopper, etc. It automatically turn off your WiFi when away from approved access points to prevent being tracked in stores. You need to turn off blocking temporarily when you want to authorize a new WiFi access point however.
AVG PrivacyFix – Dashboard
AVG PrivacyFix – Dashboard Options
AVG PrivacyFix – Dashboard Options 2
AVG PrivacyFix – Privacy Pros and Cons Explanations
AVG PrivacyFix – Apps Checked
AVG PrivacyFix – Not in Google
AVG PrivacyFix – Close Old Facebook Sessions
AVG PrivacyFix – WiFi Tracking
AVG PrivacyFix – Ad Targeting Opt-Outs
AVG PrivacyFix – Settings