Weather 4 Pilots US
Nov 20, 2010 11:00 AM –
Weather 4 Pilots US. Wx4PilotsUS is an app that would be a great resource for pilots. This app allows you to check the latest weather & TFRs, call the FSS or FBO directly from the app, or check TAF and METARs for any airport in the world.
Version: 2.03 (for Android 2.1 and higher)
Pros & Cons:
- Simple interface
- Quick resource for pilots
- Weather map allows quick visual
- Most of the app redirects to external sites rather than gathering data internally
- TFR feature goes to FAA external site
- No directory or search feature of aiports, FBO’s, or FSS
- Too pricey with too little features
- No zoom for the map
- Need more options for maps other than radar (wind speed, convection, icing, turbulence)
This is a fairly simple app to use. Want to know the weather at your destination before you fly? Boot up the app and your immediately introduced to a simple radar image of the US. Check the METAR or TAF with the submission box above it. Notice the Zulu clock in the upper right hand corner. You can also customize which favorite airports to automatically input into the submission box. At the bottom you’ll notice three distinct buttons. The first will take you directly to the FAA TFR website. The FBO and FSS buttons will call your preset phone number for your favorite FBO (changed in the settings menu).
The problem with this app is that it’s too pricey while lacking key features that would invoke a consumer to purchase this application. I’ve given a few examples above in some features that may help bring some value to this app. Of course, as always, using this app is not a replacement for a proper weather briefing. If in doubt, make sure to call your local FSS.