What’s New in Android 2.2 (Froyo)
May 22, 2010 8:45 PM –
Once I heard the Nexus One could manually get Android 2.2 (Froyo) update I installed it immediately! Here’s a list of new feature enhancements in addition to those from announcement for Android 2.2.
- No Flash initially installed however you download it from the Android Market.
- Wi-Fi tethering and Portable Hotspot!!!
- Bluetooth Voice Dialing for hands-free calling while driving
- Cloud to Device Messaging which allows you to send in the near future download Android Apps from the new Android Market; plus send Google Maps, YouTube videos, Webpage links, phone numbers, and text directly to Android Phones
- Updated Google Search bar to include dropdown for All, Web, Apps or Contacts search. Plus choose which items are searchable… not just those previously mentioned yet specific apps; Messaging, Twitter, Music, etc.
- Yes the is a “Move App to SD Card” feature, but developers have to update and enable this option for their apps to be installed to SD Card… sucks!
System, Hardware and Settings
- There are now different color highlights for the trackball. Initially it would either do white or blue when using Bluetooth. Now any color can be used, typically set within apps if the feature is available.
- I’m not sure what to call this memory, but usually when I kill apps using apps like Taskiller there is between 30-75MB of memory that can be freed up. Now it’s up to 218MB.
- Phone and Browser quick launch are along side the app launcher.
- Personalized search results saved to your Gmail profile.
- Can allow offensive words in voice recognition settings.
- Edge/3G: enable/disable data access over Mobile network.
- Battery: sound when battery is low.
- Multi-language stock keyboard.
Core Apps: Gmail, Contacts, Messaging, Facebook, Market, Talk, Car Home
- Updated Market with auto-update settings, update all apps feature, and updated layout.
- Updated Gmail app to finally include Previous/Next buttons when reading emails (shame that simple feature was just now implemented). Plus jump between accounts by tapping the email address in header versus pressing Menu button then tap Accounts. You can select/copy text from email, colored labels. Finally Android Apps (the APK files) can be installed from email attachment. The has now made one of my favorite work-around app obsolete… APKatcher
- Finally no dark theme in Messaging & Google Talk apps, slight face lift.
- Contacts with multiple similar calls grouped together which can be toggled to show more detail. Option to sort by last name, display last name first.
- More Settings in Camera app; Focus Mode, Store location in photo metadata, White Balance options, toggle Flash, Zoom options. For Video; Color effects (Mono, Sepia, Negative, Posterize, etc), White Balance, toggle Flash, toggle Video Quality (even a custom setting for high quality for YouTube capped at 10 minutes).
- New Car Home design.
Few Screenshots from Android 2.2:
New Android 2.2 Market
Android USB Tethering and WiFi Hotspot Settings
New Android Search Bar
Thanks Droid Sector for additions!