League of Legends: Wild Rift Champion Guide – Leona, the Radiant Dawn
Leona is the most loved support champion in League of Legends: Wild Rift because of the crowd-control in her kit and her ability to withstand damage. She is usually played in the Dragon lane with marksman, just like any other support champion. What makes her so unique is her ability to stun multiple enemies at once with her ultimate “Solar Flare.” Let’s now talk about her other abilities.
Leona’s primary ability is undoubtedly her first ability, ‘Shield of Daybreak.’ With this ability, Leona can stun a single target, also resetting her next auto-attack. Thanks to her second ability, ‘Eclipse,’ she becomes an un-killable rock in the late game. Meanwhile, this ability also deals magic damage to enemies inside its area of effect. Zenith Blade is Leona’s third ability that allows her to jump on to an enemy champion and also deals magic damage along the line. Here’s how to max the abilities in her kit.
Ability Order (as Support)
- Shield of Daybreak –Level 1/4/6/8
- Eclipse – Level 3/7/14/15
- Zenith Blade – Level 2/7/10/12
- Solar Flare – Level 5/9/13
With Leona, if you want more tankiness in the early game, you can max your second ability, ‘Eclipse.’ If you want more crowd control ability, you can max your first ability. If you want to jump on your enemies often, we recommend maxing the third ability. Also, always get the point in your ultimate whenever you can. Let’s jump over to see the strengths and weaknesses of Leona.
Strengths: Like Alistar and Braum, Leona can also tank a lot of damage in early or late game team fights. Because of her kit’s versatility, Leona can peel well for ally marksman or mage champion in a lane or team fights. If you itemize correctly with Leona, you can do a lot more than just tanking for your allies. That’s why Locket Enchant is the go-to enchant on Leona. However, depending on the situation, you can also go for the Redemption Enchant. She does well with marksman that relies on attack speed and dishes out heavy DPS.
Weakness: At times, Leona can become a sitting duck for the enemy marksman or the enemy team as she has no tools to escape from a deadly situation. It is also straightforward to dodge or sidestep her abilities if your champion has a blink or dash in its kit. Leona can be easily kited, so she doesn’t possess much of a threat when alone.
You need 5500 blue motes or 725 wild cores to purchase Leona, the Radiant Dawn.
Recommended Keystones and Summoner Spells with Leona
Summoner Spells (as a Support): Flash + Ignite/ Exhaust
- Aftershock Setup: Aftershock + Weakness + Loyalty+ Pack Hunter
- Support Build: Zeke’s Convergence > Protector’s Vow > Redemption/Locket Enchant >Dead Man’s Plate > Randuin’s Omen > Abyssal Mask
- Strong Against: Leona is one of those support champions that can do it all for you. She is tanky, got a ton of CC in her kit, easy to play, and can be effective in team fights. The one thing that makes Leona so strong as a champion is her potential to catch someone off-guard. She can then lockdown that enemy target for seconds with the crowd-control in her kit. She also does well against melee support champions like Alistar, Braum, and Malphite.
- Weak Against: Being a melee champion, in Dragon Lane, Leona doesn’t do that well against ranged support champions. Either it would be best if you play aggressively with Leona or super defensive to avoid being poked out by the enemy support. It is the sole reason Leona doesn’t do that well in the lane against ranged support champions like Lulu, Janna, Nami, and Lux.
How Good is Leona, the Radiant Dawn in Wild Rift?
We have already mentioned how dangerous Leona can be because of the crowd-control in her kit. Leona is currently being played in both standard and ranked games because she is very easy to play. Thanks to the auto-attack reset from her first skill, you can also destroy enemy wards very quickly on your own. Considering everything that she brings to the table, it won’t be wrong to say that Leona is an A+ tier support champion at the moment. She is one of those support champions that can do well with almost all the marksmen out there in Wild Rift.
LoL Wild Rift: Leona – Potential Combo’s
1) Zenith Blade + Shield of Daybreak + Eclipse = Go in with your third ability on an enemy target and then stun it with your first ability. After that, you cast your second ability to reduce the amount of damage that you’re going to take.
2) Zenith Blade + Shield of Daybreak + Solar Flare + Eclipse = With this combo, you can stun an enemy target for like 2 seconds.
3) Eclipse + Zenith Blade + Shield of Daybreak = In this combo, you first activate your second ability so that when you go in, you also deal the magic damage from ‘Eclipse.’
4) Solar Flare + Zenith Blade + Shield of Daybreak = This combo requires slightly more accurate but isn’t that tough to pull off either. You can even catch multiple enemies off guard with this combo!
Core Items in Leona’s Support Build – Protector’s Vow, Redemption/Locket Enchant, Dead Man’s Plate