League of Legends: Wild Rift Champion Guide – Rakan, the Charmer
Rakan is the love duo of Xayah in League of Legends: Wild Rift. He is a utility/ Ability Power Damage-based support champion mostly played in Dragon Lane and Xayah. Rakan is one of those support champions that is slightly difficult to play. The best part about playing Rakan with Xayah is that when they are played together as a duo, both the champions’ abilities get enhanced. His primary ability is his second skill, ‘Grand Entrance,’ with which Rakan dashes to a location and knocks up enemy champions on arrival. Usually, this skill is maxed first.
With his third skill, ‘Battle Dance,’ Rakan flies to an allied champion and grants them a shield. This ability can be cast again within a short duration. Even though his first skill is levelled up, at last, it can deal a decent amount of magic damage and also heals Rakan and his allies by a minimal yet, a significant amount. Talking about his ultimate, ‘The Quickness,’ Rakan is granted movement speed, charming and dealing magic damage to the enemies he touches. This ultimate is a game-changer and can turn the tide of the fight in your favor. Let’s take a look at his skill/ability order!
Ability Order (as Support):
- Gleaming Quill – Level 3/7/14/15
- Grand Entrance – Level 1/4/6/8
- Battle Dance – Level 2/7/10/12
- The Quickness – Level 5/9/13
We often tell you that you can max the abilities depending on the matchup and situation. However, with Rakan, its best to max the abilities in the order mentioned above as it can prove beneficial. Nonetheless, it’s time we look at some of Rakan’s strengths and weakness.
Strengths: Because of the shielding, the knock-up, and the charm in his kit, Rakan is considered as one of the support champions that can do it all. The playmaking potential with Rakan is insane, which is why it isn’t an easy support champion to play. Even though Rakan can perform well with other marksmen present in Wild Rift, players usually prefer playing as Rakan with a Xayah AD carry in Dragon Lane, making complete sense.
Weakness: Rakan, like other squishy support champions, has low defence stats in the early game. Once his abilities are in cooldown, he is easy prey for the assassin in the enemy team. Moreover, once you have engaged in a team fight with Rakan, you have to wait for abilities to come off of cooldown. That’s the reason why it is highly recommended to build cooldown reduction with Rakan.
To purchase Rakan, you need 5500 blue motes or 725 wild cores.
Recommended Keystones and Summoner Spells with Rakan
Summoner Spells (as a Support): Flash + Ignite/ Exhaust
- Aery Setup: Aery + Triumph/Weakness + Loyalty+ Hunter-Genius
- Font of Life Setup: Font of Life + Triumph/Weakness + Loyalty + Hunter-Genius
Item Build with Rakan
Since Rakan is only played as support in LoL Wild Rift, there’s only one possible support build. However, make sure you itemize correctly depending on the composition of the enemy team.
- Support Build: Ardent Censer > Harmonic Echo > Ionian Stasis/Locket Enchant > Athene’s Unholy Grail > Zeke’s Convergence > Protector’s Vow
- Strong Against: Rakan is strong against support champions that lack heavy CC or are melee range. Usually, Rakan can do well against all support champions because of the versatility in his kit. He can engage and disengage at will in 2v2’s in the Dragon Lane and team fights. Depending on your play style, you can choose to either player aggressive or defensive with Rakan.
- Weak Against: Rakan is kind of weak against support champions that can disposition him when he’s trying to engage such as Alistar, Braum, Janna, and Blitzcrank. Like we mentioned earlier, the defensive stats on Rakan are non existent which makes him an easy target in late game team fights.
How Good is Rakan, the Charmer in Wild Rift?
As mentioned above, Rakan is one of those support champions that has a versatile kit. Moreover, he can easily escape from the enemy team with the help of his second skill, ‘Grand Entrance.’ In the FAQ section, you can see several combos that you can perform with Rakan. However, it will require a lot of practice. Rakan is undoubtedly one of the best support champions that have an insane amount of playmaking potential. But, once you master Rakan, you’ll be unstoppable and climb the ranked ladder in Wild Rift in no time.
LoL Wild Rift: Rakan – FAQ’s
1. What are the possible combos with Rakan?
These are the possible combos that you can pull off with Rakan. However, note that these combos require practice and are heavily dependent on the matchup you’re up against. At times you might get killed or taken down while trying to execute any of these combos. So, make sure you practice first!
Before you get your ultimate:
Combo 1 – Grand Entrance > Gleaming Quill > Battle Dance
Combo 2 – Walk up to enemy target > Gleaming Quill > Battle Dance (1) > Grand Entrance > Battle Dance (2)
After you get your ultimate:
Combo 1 – The Quickness > Flash > Grand Entrance > Gleaming Quill > Battle Dance
Combo 2 – Grand Entrance > The Quickness > Gleaming Quill > Battle Dance
Combo 3 – Battle Dance (1) > The Quickness > Grand Entrance > Gleaming Quill > Battle Dance (2) – you can only pull this off in late game with a decent amount of cooldown reduction/ability haste.
2. What are the core items on Rakan?
Ardent Censer, Harmonic Echo, Locket Enchant, and Zeke’s Convergence.