Understanding the Unit Types in Auto Chess
Auto Chess is the mobile version of the popular Dota 2 custom map. Developed by the same people that brought us the original, this adaptation is shaping out to be the definitive version of the game. As a standalone product, this version of Auto Chess provides a perfect blend of engaging strategy gameplay, with the convenience of playing it anywhere on your phone. Furthermore, if played on BlueStacks, you can recreate the feeling of playing the original on PC, but with all the content and updates that the mobile version will receive. Feel free to read our Auto Chess review if you want to learn more about the game.
As we mentioned in our combat flow guide, there are many things you must learn in order to succeed in the battlefield. The first of these topics is how each match flows, and what you should be doing in the early, mid, and late game. However, while saving up gold and purchasing good initial heroes is vital for your success, coming up with a good strategy for the late game is mandatory if you want to win. To this end, you will have to learn what each unit does, as well as study up on class and race synergies. Nevertheless, since unit-specific strategies would require its own article, we will focus today on talking about unit categories.
Unit Races and Classes
One of the most important things in Auto Chess, aside from learning what each and every character can do, is learning about how every unit is categorized. Every chess piece (as the characters are called in this game) is classified based on two important categories: class and race. The classification of a unit is always important since, when you have several pieces of the same race or class on the board, you will trigger passive buffs that will help you tremendously in overcoming the opposition. In fact, most of the time of a match will be spent working towards a strategy that revolves around acquiring units of the same race or class. In this sense, while the start is always a bit slow, the game starts to pick up as players level up and purchase more pieces.
Each class and race is unique and, depending on the type of units you add to the board, your playstyle will vary greatly. For example, if you use several magi, their passive ability will dramatically decrease your enemy’s magic resistance, but they’ll be exposed to assassins since they have meager defenses. Conversely, if you go for a warrior strategy, your units will have lots of physical armor, but will also suffer greatly when attacked by spells.
These are the different races and classes available in the game:
- Goblins: Having a minimum of 3 goblins on the board grants a random ally armor and HP regen buffs.
- Spirits: When deploying at least 2 spirits, every spirit on the board has a chance to petrify enemy on attacks.
- Marine: Using at least two of these units grants all other marina pieces increased magic resistance.
- Egersis: Having at least 2 of these on the board will decrease the armor of all enemies.
- Dwarf: If you add at least one dwarf to your formation, your attack range increases by 2 grids.
- Beast: Having at least 2 of these on the board increases the attack of all your allies, including non-beasts and summoned creatures.
- Human: Deploying at least 2 of these pieces on the board gives all humans a chance to silence their enemies on every attack, preventing them from using their skills.
- Dragon: Adding 3 of these units on the board makes all allied dragons start the battle with 100 mana, allowing them to unleash their skills immediately.
- Cave Clan: Having at least 2 units of this class gives all other cave clan members an HP boost.
- Feathered: Stacking at least 3 of these units grants all feathered pieces a chance to evade enemy attacks.
- Glacier Clan: Having 2 of these units grants allied glacier clans an attack speed buff. Having 4 grants the buff to the entire team.
- Demon: You don’t need to stack this race to receive their bonus, however, if you have more than one, the bonus is nullified. In this sense, having only one demon on the board will grant the unit an extra 50% damage as pure damage, which is not reduced by armor.
- Kira: Like demons, you don’t need to stack Kira to receive their bonuses. By adding one of these to the board, all allied units will receive a 10% HP buff.
- Hunter: Having at least 3 of these on the board gives all hunters an attack boost, as well as chance for their attacks to go through the enemy evasion.
- Assassin: When using at least 3 assassins, all friendly assassins gain increased critical chance.
- Warrior: Stacking at least 3 of these on your formation gives all allied warriors an armor buff.
- Mech: With at least 2 mechs on the board, every mech on the field gains an HP regen buff.
- Warlock: Stacking at least 3 Warlocks on the team gives all allied units a lifesteal buff.
- Mage: Using at least 3 mages will significantly decrease the enemy’s magic resistance.
- Druid: These units have reduced combination costs, only costing 2 of the same pieces to combine into a piece of higher rank, instead of the usual 3.
- Knight: When having at least 2 knights in the field, every knight has a 30% chance every 3 seconds to deploy a protective shield.
- Shaman: When you have at least 2 shamans on your time, a random enemy gets hexed every 6 seconds, preventing them from taking any action.
A Note on Witchers
These units are pivotal for demon strategies, as well as for disrupting the enemy’s demon formation. If you add a single Witcher to your board, it’ll count toward your enemy’s demon total. In this sense, if they already have one demon to trigger the passive, the Witcher will count as a second unit for them, disrupting their strategy. Furthermore, if you add two Witchers, all your demons will count as one, allowing you to add many of these units to the board, and having them deal Pure damage to the enemy on every hit.
Keep in mind that, as we mentioned above, most of the late game strategies revolve around a certain unit class or race. In this sense, by learning what you can achieve by stacking multiple similar units, you can create your own unbeatable strats and conquer the battlefield with your might chess pieces.